Saturday, October 2, 2010

A model of sailing vessel "Tuiga"

In my post from January 14 this year I presented several ship models built by Juan Ignacio Argaluza, who is an expert ship models craftman, what can be appreciated by looking at the pictures of his creations, although it´s not the same as seeing the actual models , in order to appreciate the extraordinary detail and accuracy of its components.


In that post I mentioned and showed a photo of the of the sailboat "Tuiga" new model, that was then at its initial stage and is now completed. This afternoon, Juan Ignacio has invited me to see her "Tuiga" and it has been really nice to see the finished model, with his customary perfection, not missing a single detail, and with a top quality finishing. Juan Ignacio told me: "Jon, don´t just say she is fine, take out the flaws you see." Well, I could not get any, I could only help him about some nomenclature information.


Let´s remember that the "Tuiga" was built by the Fairlie shipyard in Scotland, in 1909, commissioned by the Spanish  Duke of Medinaceli and that she was a twin of "Hispania", built in the late Karrpard shipyard, in Pasajes (Spain), at about the same time. I published a post about the "Hispania" on my blog in April 10,  2008.


Taking advantage of my visit, Juan Ignacio showed me his new model under construction, a curious and old warship, with guns on the upper deck, and propelled by sails and oars. It will take him a year's work, he told me, and I saw him very hopeful about his new stem. I hope to present it on this blog within a few months.

My congratulations to Juan Ignacio Argaluza, a true example of how a retiree can fill his time by doing something very important and beautiful, keeping himself in good shape physically and mentally. And now that Juan Ignacio can not hear me, I would dare to ask: Shouldn´t be possible that the science, art and skills that this man has got in the realm of ship models, be transmitted to future generations?

No comments: