Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ship models from Juan Ignacio Argaluza

In my post of 10 April 2008 in this blog I wrote a note about the historic racing yacht Hispania, recently rebuilt at Astilleros de Mallorca, recovering an authentic jewel of sport shipbuilding, of true both technical and historical interest.

A few days ago I was phoned
by  Juan Ignacio Argaluza, Getxo's neighbor like me, whom I did not meet before, informing me that he was building a model of the sail yacht Tuiga, twin of Hispania, and having read my blog note he had got an interest in commenting to me on some respects . A few days later I visited him at his home and he showed me the model of the Tuiga's hull , under construction, and told me he was finding some problems due to lack of ship's drawings that will guide his work.

Tuiga hull's model (click to zoom)


 Hispania at Astilleros de Mallorca

Of course, I asked Juan Ignacio to show me his previously built models and let me take some pictures, which I include below, where you can appreciate the sheer quality of his work as a ship modelist,  where timber is used as the main material,  being of different qualities for various areas of the ship, and metals for accessories, because absolutely all parts and elements of his models are built by himself and he only  orders outdoors the nickel plating of some metal parts.

In his small workshop, Argaluza showed me the progress of its existing buildings and particularly some tools that he has designed and built, very specific to the construction of ship models, and that allow him to get the high quality of its work and a remarkable productivity, as he confessed to me.

I got following model photographies:

1) "Saltillo", former yacht of  Spanish Royal family  and presently operating  as  a  training ship of the Merchant Marine School in Portugalete, of 21.94 m long and 5.25 m wide, built to scale 1 / 36 , 6







2) Cod fishing vessel  Benjamin W. LATHAM, from USA, year 1902, operating until 1943





3) "L'Ouragan", French brick-barc, begining  XIX century, devoted to slaves traffic, of 41,25 m long   and 9,50 m wide




4) American whaler built in  1800 at New Bedford (USA), model to 1/25 escale



Argaluza builts the model hull from a solid piece of wood and then covers it with sheets of wood  perfectly fitted and riveted to the hull with metal pins, but sometimes he has used the method of constructing the hull with separate frames and tables lining. He has bought many model drawings by  mail from "Les Amis des Musées de la Marine, Paris, with very satisfactory results.

The model riggings are true works of filigree, with moving pulleys sheaves and all mobile and fixed rigging reproduced according to actual drawings.

I know that Juan Ignacio Argaluza has held exhibitions of their models and has won some awards, but he did not comment much on these points, but focused on showing me  his works and construction procedures, all which was a real pleasure
for me.

I hope he finishes soon the Tuiga's model and continues building many more to delight and example of the many fans of this art, living among us.

No comments: